Sunday, May 22, 2011

Overstream

Ok, so I had planned to do the next challenge -- Edmodo.  I even have the beginnings of a post saved to drafts.  The bottom line for me is that much of Edmodo is redundant, because my district has adopted schooltool to move most student data online.

That said, in my twavels this weekend, I discovered overstream.com.  It's a free online tool that allows you to create subtitles for existing youtube videos.

I started googling for something to accomplish this, after seeing this video by EF:



(the video was posted on #langchat, but I can't remember who originally posted it, because I tabbed it while doing something else, not having any idea it would become a blog post!)

My thought after watching it, was that there were some really great scenes, just enough vocab interspersed in the EF titles, and no dialogue, so students could write their own.  I tried it out myself (very quickly) and came up with this:



I found it to be quite user friendly.  This activity could easily be adapted to multiple levels by changing the number of titles required and/or specifying structures you want the students to be practicing.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Tracy! Great video. I actually learnt some French (which I don't speak, unfortunately).
    Thanks for letting me know about Overstream. I love it.

    ReplyDelete