Monday, September 19, 2011

A Simple Hardware Trick

I blogged previously about my favorite vocabulary review website memrise.com.  At the second BOCES (Boards of Cooperative Educational Services) workshop I took this summer, Teacher Re-Boot Camp, presenter Nancy Schmidt mentioned the idea of using a wireless keyboard with elementary students to increase involvement in activities.  The design of memrise with its percentages and rankings already engaged students competitively.  When they are actively passing a wireless keyboard and mouse from student to student, racing against the memrise timer, they are physically involved, and the intensity and engagement is definitely kicked up.

I paid about $40 at Staples for my wireless keyboard/mouse set.  I then (of course) spotted a set at Big Lots for about $10.  Sigh.  The point is, this hardware can be found for a relatively minimal investment, and can add a lot to your class.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment